Friday, April 2, 2010

Peking Duck



After sightseeing and walking around all day, I decided we should have a big meal. And not just any meal-- Peking duck.

Peking duck is the ultimate in Beijing dinners. Slowly cooked with the utmost in culinary skill, the duck dish is a favorite among Westerners and Chinese alike. I'd never had Peking duck, so I was anxious to taste it as well. I invited my good friend, Ken (who I went to Thanksgiving at the Great Wall with in November), to come along and meet my mom and brother.

The restaurant, Xiheyaju, was amazing. Located outside one of Beijing many parks, Xiheyaju has an ancient feel to it. The courtyard is truly Chinese, yet the majority of guests were foreign. Right when you walk in, you'll see a fireplace with numerous ducks hanging inside, the fat dripping out into the flames as the duck roasts. A giant tree sprouts up from the venue's center.

When finally cooked, which usually takes 45 minutes, the cooks bring the duck out and cut it up in front of guests. We were given three plates: the skin of the duck with the head cut into two halves, meat from the body of the duck and meat from the duck's wings.



No comments:

Post a Comment